Giuseppe Guarnaccia was the Head of the Department of Surgery and of the Complex Unit at BMM Hospital of Reggio Calabria until 2014
He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Messina in 1977 and specialized in Ophthalmology at the San Raffaele Hospital Ophthalmology Clinic University of Milan in 1985.
Director of the Centre of Social Ophthalmology of the Civil Hospital of Paola in 1993 and afterwards, Co-ordinator, and later Director of the Operating Ophtalmic Complex Unit
Dr. Guarnaccia is a member of Italian and international ophthalmic societies and he organized international congresses of ophthalmology.
He is a speaker at conferences and training courses and throughout his career, he received several awards including the AVIS8Association of Voluntary Italian Blood Donors) National Award and the National IARVO Award.
Since 2015 he has been the Director of the European School for Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology – ESASO and Professor of retinal diseases at the specialization school of San Raffaele Hospital University of Milan.
- 2007: Practical training: William Beamont Hospital Royal Oak, Michigan
- 2005 – 2006 Practical training: IMO, Microsurgery Institute Barcelona
- 2005: Practical training: Harvard University Eye Hospital, Boston
- 2002 – 2003: Practical training Zivojnovic Foundation Middelheim Hospital Department of Ophthalmology, Antwerpen
- 1998 – 1999: vocational training Ophthalmology Division S. Martino, Genova
- 1995 – 1996: vocational Foundation for Ophthalmology G. B. Bietti, Rome
- 1996 Practical training: Eye Clinic Hospital S. Eriks, Stockholm
- 1984 Practical training University Eye Clinic Hospital Creteil, Paris
- 1980 Practical Training University Eye Clinic Hospital J. Gonin, Lausanne